The last few weeks have been pretty eventful for Joe and I. It has snowed a couple times and our classes have been cancelled more than the seminary has seen since the 1970s. I have mixed feelings about this. It is nice to stay at home during the freezing, wet weather outside, but I enjoy attending lectures and am getting scared at how quickly the end of the semester is arriving.
A really bad bout of the flu attacked St. Louis over the last month, and 3 out of every 4 people that I know got it. Even Joe got sick, with a fever and sinus infection. Joe has probably gotten sick about three times throughout his entire life, so this flu must have been extremely vicious. I, however, did not get sick--Hallelujah!! It was really enjoyable to take care of Joe while he was sick. I feel like my role as a wife was enhanced as I got to nurture my husband through his weakness. It feels good to help him get better.
There was a funny moment during Joe's sickness that I would love to share (and I don't think he'll be too embarrassed). Because he rarely got sick growing up, Joe has never experienced the taste of liquid benedryl. His sinuses were giving him a really hard time, and even though he was able to clear them out as often as needed (that rare talent that is gross and yet was quite an asset), the infection wouldn't go away. I offered him some benedryl and the medicine had barely touched his lips before he made the funniest face I have ever seen. He spluttered and whimpered and made all kinds of noises that most children make when taking liquid medicine. Even though the next day he was feeling a lot better, he swore he would never take it again.
He is back to normal by now and going full speed ahead at work and school. He is so diligent at reading our assigned texts. Unfortunately, that hasn't rubbed off on me very much. The one book I am really looking forward to reading is about a mother with borderline personality disorder, written from the perspective of her child. It is required for my Psych Disorders class, which is my favorite class so far. God is challenging the low level of value I have for His people through that class--I hope I look more like Christ by the end of the semester.
Blessings to all,
Rachel
Tuesday, February 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow- -I'm glad the challenge of the psych disorders class is still ahead of me for now. I'm really looking forward to it in a way, but I know I'm not ready yet. My ex was a borderline personality, so I can only imagine...
I can understand what you mean by a low level of value for God's people. The friend of mine who got me interested in mental health also happened to have the worst and most unloving attitude towards the people she was helping. I want to be able to approach things differently than she did, but I'm sure I don't even know how much God has to change my heart before I get there.
Post a Comment